By far our most successful international screenplay competition yet! In 2019 we more than doubled the number of entries, thanks in large part to our co-sponsorship with the ISA – International Screenwriters Association. WIFTV provided door prizes to the ISA’s Third Thursday screenwriting events in 15 locations worldwide, and the ISA will be providing ISAConnect memberships to our top ten Official Selections.
We received screenplay submissions from women writers from across Canada and the USA, as well as the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Turkey, Brazil, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.
Congratulations to the Official Selections:
- Nancy Bartley – The Boy Who Shot the Sheriff – USA
- Jackie Bateman – Salome Magic – Vancouver, BC
- Arla Bowers – White Coyote – USA
- Sam Coyle – White River – Toronto, ON
- Nadia Desyatnikova – Selva – USA
- Michelle Davidson & Jeffrey Field – No Man’s Land – USA
- Helen Marsh – Alice Through the Microscope – Vancouver, BC
- Sheona McDonald – Back by Midnight – Vancouver, BC
- Katterina Powers – A Better Place – USA
- Cate Wood Hunter – The Transmogrification of St. Bunnycrisp – South Africa
We would also like to recognize two additional screenwriters with Honourable Mentions:
J. Bermudez – The Face of the Earth – USA
Robin Fusco – Happy Endings Senior Living – USA
The ten Official Selections will receive a prize package that includes full festival accreditation to VIWFF 2019, and an opportunity to pitch their scripts to industry professionals at the festival, taking place March 5-10. The first place screenwriter will receive the Ken Hayward Award for Best Screenplay, which includes a $250 cash prize. The winner will be announced at the VIWFF Awards Ceremony on Sunday, March 10, 2019.